2004 Main Street
PH. 610 262-ROXY
Digital projection and sound
Behind the Theatre
Welcome to the Jungle"
RATED PG-13 for adventure action, suggestive content
and some language
RUNNING TIME: 124 min.
In a brand new Jumanji adventure, four high school kids discover an old video game console and are drawn into the game's jungle setting, literally becoming the adult avatars they chose. What they discover is that you don't just play Jumanji - you must survive it. To beat the game and return to the real world, they'll have to go on the most dangerous adventure of their lives, discover what Alan Parrish left 20 years ago, and change the way they think about themselves - or they'll be stuck in the game forever, to be played by others without break.
for week of March 23rd thru 29th
FRI - 7:00 & 9:20 PM
SAT - 1:00, 7:00 & 9:20 PM
SUN - 2:00 & 7:00 PM
MON, TUES & THURS - 7:00 PM Only!
WED - 1:00 & 7:00 PM
OUR NEXT ATTRACTION
Coming for the Easter Holidays
Starting March 30th
RATED PG for some rude humor and action.
Feature adaptation of Beatrix Potter's classic tale of a rebellious rabbit trying to sneak into a farmer's vegetable garden.
Watch for these popular films coming soon.
The Greatest Showman - Starts April 6th
Getting Grace - Coming Soon
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri - Coming Soon
The Shape of Water - Coming
AFFORDABLE REFRESHMENT PRICES
POP CORN $ 2.25 $2.75 $3.25
DRINKS $ 2.00 $2.25 $2.75
CANDY $ 1.50 $1.75 $2.00
BOTTLED WATER $1.00 (16.9 oz.)
Coming Sun. May 2oth
Live on stage
Knights of Columbus Council 14464
For tickets Call 610 837-1702
Advance tickets - $12.00
At the door day of show - $15.00
Tickets also available at the Roxy
Evenings Mon thru Sat between 7:30 and 8:45 PM
The theatre was first opened on Feb. 1st, 1921 as the LYRIC Theatre by Harry Hartman who previously had several other nickelodeons in Northampton. He opened the 1000 seat Lyric at 20th and Main Streets to replace his 350 seat Lyric across the street in order to provide more seating and larger stage accommodations for vaudeville.
Hit hard by the depression, Hartman sold out in the spring of 1933 to Clark and Greenberg Theatres of Philadelphia. They closed the theatre and completely renovated the interior, as well as the exterior entryway in the popular art deco style. Prominent Philadelphia theatre architect David Supowitz was hired to design the new transformation which included reducing the seating capacity to 650. The theatre reopened on August 31st, completely transformed, along with a new name, The Roxy.
A final restoration of the auditorium was completed during 2010, when most areas were repainted. The stage received new curtains and drapes as well as all the exit doorways. The wood floor was completely refinished, and brand-new seats and carpeting were installed once again as well.
While live entertainment is still featured at various times, the theatre continues to operate as Northampton's only commercial movie theatre.
The first season the Roxy still saw vaudeville on the stage, along with wild west shows, minstrels and local productions. Stage fare was discontinued as a regular part of the programming in the spring of 1934. Motion pictures were always the main bill of fare, but live attractions continued to be presented at various times. Amateur talent shows hosted by radio station WSAN were popular on Wednesday evenings during the mid-thirties. The theatre used every gimmick of the times to keep patrons coming back. Giveaways included dishes, cosmetics, encyclopedias and even good old hard cash. These giveaways were continued well into the late fifties.
The late fifties also saw the return of live entertainment upon the Roxy's stage, when concerts featuring singers Bobby Vinton, Bobby Rydell and Fabian were presented.
In the early sixties after a decade of fierce competition from Television, Clark and Greenberg decided to give up their lease on the theatre, and new management assumed control. The sixties proved to be almost fatal for the theatre, as the competition from TV and the building of new shopping center theatres caused a decline in both attendance and the physical condition of the building.
By June 1st, 1970, when the theatre was acquired by Angstadt and Wolfe Theatres, it was only a shadow of its former glory. A&W began a slow and drawn-out restoration of the theatre that continues to this day. They also reintroduced live entertainment in the form of concerts, plays, magic shows, dance recitals, and even weddings.
Artists such as Bruce Springsteen, Billy Joel, John Belushi, Blood Sweat & Tears, Martin Mull, The Sensational Alex Harvey Band, Gilda Radner, KISS, Golden Earring, Melissa Manchester along with many others were featured, again with the sponsorship of WSAN radio. By 1988, A&W partner Richard C Wolfe, acquired complete ownership of the theatre through a new corporation, Roxy Management Company, Inc. He replaced the missing pipe organ with a 7 rank Wurlitzer pipe organ, renovated the lobby, and restored the exterior facade to its original appearance. New seating and carpeting were added as well at that time.
When the present Roxy Theatre opened as the Lyric in early 1921, sound movies were still eight years away. The early silent films required some sort of musical accompaniment to help bring the action to life and to set the proper mood. Various types of musical instruments were utilized to provide the sound for those early movies. A single piano player, organist, or a complete orchestra was generally used.
When the Lyric first opened, it was equipped with an American Photoplayer pit organ. Photoplayers were part piano and part organ. The photoplayer had two cabinets, one on either side of the console. One contained several ranks of organ pipes, including violin, violoncello, brass effects and flute pipes, while the other housed all the percussions, which included a bass drum, snare drum, tom-tom, tympani, cymbal, tambourine and other whistles and bells that provided sound effects for the action in the film. (Some theatre organs, such as the Marr & Colton Symphonic Registrator provided the Silent Movie organist with a catalog of built in emotions. Some of the organ tablets (buttons) were labeled "LOVE (Mother)," "LOVE (Romantic)," and "LOVE (Passion).") They were operated either by a trained musician (who played the music from a score provided with the film or improvised as best as possible to coincide with the action of the picture.), or by any individual (often a young boy) who peddled a player unit that read paper rolls.
The photoplayer was equipped with two roll players so that while one was being played, the operator could change the other one with the type of music needed to accompany the next scene. The theatre had a selection of rolls that would cover every possible scene. Those listed as HEAVY MUSIC was used for fights, fires, riots, storms, etc. Other categories that were part of the library were listed as PATHETIC, ORIENTAL, NOVELETTES, PATRIOTIC, GALLOPS (used for chase scenes), MARCHES, OPERATIC, DRAMATIC, SENTIMENTAL and many more.
Photoplayers served well during the early years of motion pictures, but by the mid-twenties they had been made obsolete by the new "unit orchestras" that had been developed by Robert Hope Jones. While Jones developed the unit orchestra concept, which was essentially an organ re-voiced to reproduce the sound of an entire orchestra, many other companies copied his ideas. Jones sold his patents to the Rudolph Wurlitzer Company which became the preeminent builder of theatre organs. One of the other companies to use his ideas was the Marr & Colton Organ Company. In 1924, the Lyric management removed the photoplayer and replaced it with a Marr and Colton theatre organ. This organ required the installation of a pipe chamber to the right of the stage. The console, however, remained in the orchestra pit where the organist could view the action on the screen in order to synchronize the music with the action of the film.
Virtually no information exists about that instrument other than the fact that it had a two-manual console. The number of ranks of pipes is unknown as well. It is believed to have been removed from the theatre shortly after the renovation into the Roxy in 1933, as sound films were sure to stay and vaudeville was discontinued after the winter season of 1934.
The theatre remained without an organ until the mid-seventies when an electronic one was installed to accompany some live shows during that period. Although the make is unknown, it is a large three-manual church organ, used only on rare occasions with various live shows. It was removed in 1978 and again, the theatre was without an organ.
In 1981, a local music store provided a demonstrator Lowery electronic organ to the theatre. They also provided an organist each Saturday evening as a way to showcase their brand of organ. This organ was used by the theatre management to determine whether the public had any interest in live organ music before the show. It was decided that since the patronage seemed to enjoy the organ prologues, that a search would be made to acquire an original theatre pipe organ and have it installed in the Roxy.
In September of 1987, the Roxy's management was informed about a 2 manual, 6 rank Wurlitzer Theatre Organ that was for sale in Morris Plains, New Jersey. After having gone to inspect the instrument, it was decided that it would be purchased and restored while being installed in the theatre.
This particular instrument had made the rounds by this time. It was originally installed in the Pastime-Osborne Theatre in the Bronx in New York city on August 12, 1926. It was at that time a 4-rank instrument. Due to financial problems at that theatre, it was repossessed by the organ company, and set up as a demonstrator organ at the 42nd Street showrooms of the Wurlitzer company, where it was subsequently sold to the Fordham Skating Rink. It was installed there on September 19, 1935.
On January 15, 1939, Dr. Quinby DeHart Gurney of Hawthorne, New Jersey, purchased the organ, making him the instrument's 3rd owner. He removed it from the skating rink and installed it into his private residence. The organ was later damaged by a flood and abandoned by de Hart.
On November 11, 1976, the organ was purchased by organist N. Francis Cimmino, of Wayne, NJ, who restored it, enlarged it to 6 ranks and installed it in his home. Several years later when Mr. Cimmino decided to relocate to Florida, he put the instrument up for sale.
On February 15, 1979, the organ was purchased from Mr. Cimmino by Mr. Harold Benz (now the instrument's 5th owner), of Morris Plains, NJ. Mr. Benz, along with his son, installed the organ into the basement of their home. After Mr. Benz' son left home, the instrument again fell into disuse, and was again put up for sale.
It was at this time that it was brought to the attention of Richard Wolfe, that the organ was available. It was the perfect size for the Roxy, as it had come out of a 650-seat theatre originally, the exact same size as the Roxy. In September of 1987, when the agreement of sale was concluded, the organ made one more trip, this time back to a theatre where it belonged.
A number of setbacks occurred during the installation of the organ and it wasn't until 1995 that it was far enough along to be ready to be used for public performance. Through the efforts of crew chief Rusty King and Henry L. Appenzeller and others, the organ was made usable and regular Saturday evening pre-show concerts were begun with Henry T. Appenzeller at the console.
The organ is currently used only on special occasions as a regular organist is not available at the present time.
A view of the lobby concession area. The theatre entrance would be behind you. The lobby boasts a beautiful art deco styled marble water drinking fountain.
Photo credit: John Mainka Photography
Here is an auditorium proscenium and stage photo. Notice the beautiful deco grillework on the ceiling and above the exit doors to the right and left of the stage.
Photo credit: John Mainka Photography
An interior wall of the auditorium. Art Deco patterns wherever you look!
The hanging light fixtures are actually a 3 tiered fixture made of milkglass. The top tier being amber in color, the middle section is red, and the bottom tier is blue.
Photo credit: John Mainka Photography
The entrance to the theatre on Main Street at dusk. The marquee lights are on!
Photo credit: Stephanie Klavens, 1999.
This photo appeared in Mid-Atlantic Country Magazine in January,1995. The Roxy still requires the wearing of traditional uniforms, keeping with the period look and feel of the theatre.
Photo credit: Michael Bryant, Mid-Atlantic Country Magazine, 1995